207th Pennsylvania Legislature: Swearing In Day Update
In a surprising development, the PA House of Representatives elected Representative Mark Rozzi from Berks County as Speaker of the House. Rozzi is a Democrat but indicated he will serve in the roll as Independent and not Caucus with either Party. However, it is unclear if he will change his party affiliation. Rozzi was nominated by a Republican member and received further Republican votes winning the position by 115-85. Rozzi obtained votes from all Democrat members plus 16 Republican votes, including all 7 of the Republican Caucus Leadership.
In November, Democrats won 102 out of 203 House seats to win the majority, but were set back by 3 vacancies because of the October death of Rep. Tony DeLuca (D-Allegheny) and resignations of Rep. Summer Lee and Austin Davis. Lee has been elected to the U.S. House from Pittsburgh, and Rep. Austin Davis (D-Allegheny) is set to be the state’s new Lieutenant Governor. The flip of the state House to Democrat majority will not be cemented until three special elections are held to fill these vacancies since all are expected to be safe Democrat seats. Thus, Republicans did not concede the majority going into today’s first day of the new Session. Indeed, both Rep. Joanna McClinton (D-Philadelphia) and Rep. Bryan Cutler (R-Lancaster) conducted separate swear in ceremonies as House Majority Leader for the 2023-2024 session. They have also both scheduled the special elections for the three vacant seats. McClinton set all three special elections for February 7th. However, Rep. Cutler issued two writs of election for the 34th and 35th Legislative Districts to be held on May 16th the same day as the primary election day. Previous to this action, the House Republicans filed a lawsuit in Commonwealth Court that challenges McClinton’s authority to set the date of the special elections due to lack of clear majority.
Amongst all this turmoil and uncertainty, the House Caucuses elected their new Leadership teams and swore in forty-nine new members which is approximately 25% of the Chamber.
House Democratic Leadership:
- Leader: Joanna McClinton (D-Philadelphia)
- Appropriations Chairman: Matt Bradford (D-Montgomery)
- Whip: Jordan Harris (D-Philadelphia)
- Caucus Chair: Dan Miller (D-Allegheny)
- Caucus Secretary: Tina Davis (D-Bucks)
- Caucus Administrator: Mike Schlossberg (D-Lehigh)
- Policy Chair: Ryan Bizzarro (D-Erie)
- Leader: Bryan Cutler (R-Lancaster)
- Appropriations Chairman: Seth Grove (R-York)
- Whip: Tim O’Neal (R-Washington)
- Caucus Chair: George Dunbar (R-Westmoreland)
- Caucus Secretary: Martina White (R-Philadelphia)
- Caucus Administrator: Sheryl Delozier (R-Cumberland)
- Policy Chair: Josh Kail (R-Beaver)
Prepared by Wanner Associates for Chester County Chamber of Business and Industry
Chester County Chamber of Business and Industry
1600 Paoli Pike, Malvern, PA 19355